Comment on page
Crediting Yarn Spinner
Learn how to use the Yarn Spinner brand in your game, and how to acknowledge your use of Yarn Spinner.
This document is a living document, and might change from time to time. Please check back occasionally! If you have any questions, or want an official written answer, or written permission, or something else—even if it's weird, we love weird—please email legal AT yarnspinner.dev
Thank you for using Yarn Spinner! 💚 This page contains information on how to use the Yarn Spinner name and logo in projects that make use of Yarn Spinner, or in media coverage of Yarn Spinner.
There are two parts to crediting Yarn Spinner: what you're required to do if you use Yarn Spinner, and, optionally, what we'd appreciate you doing.
This page outlines the requirements, the things we'd appreciate you doing, and provides downloads of the Yarn Spinner logo.
Yarn Spinner is provided to you under the terms of the MIT License. This means that if you use Yarn Spinner in a game, software, or any other work, you are required to include a copy of Yarn Spinner's license in that work.
The MIT License (MIT)
Copyright (c) Yarn Spinner Pty. Ltd., Secret Lab Pty. Ltd., and Yarn Spinner contributors.
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.
You are required to include a copy of this with your game. There's no firm rules as to how you do this. We have some suggestions, though:
- on a screen in your game, along with other software licenses
- in a file that lists all licenses related to your game
- in an accompanying PDF, or similar, electronic manual or documentation
Basically, as long as a copy of Yarn Spinner's version of the MIT license is distributed with your game, you're good to go.
In addition to including a copy of the Yarn Spinner's MIT license in your game, we'd very much appreciate it if you include Yarn Spinner in your game's credits, such as the initial splash screen, or in your end-game credits, or somewhere else of your choosing. Yarn Spinner is freely released, under a permissive open source license, and we appreciate you telling people that Yarn Spinner helped make your game.
If you credit Yarn Spinner, you can use the logo, which are available below, a text credit, or both. If you use a text credit, we suggest the following:
Dialogue powered by Yarn Spinner — https://yarnspinner.dev
You can reword this however you'd like, but we'd prefer if you kept the name 'Yarn Spinner', and the link to the website.
Yarn Spinner® is a trademark of Secret Lab Pty. Ltd., the original creators, and is licensed to Yarn Spinner Pty. Ltd, which is a spinoff company to look after the project.
For the purposes of crediting Yarn Spinner, acknowledging that you're using Yarn Spinner, or discussing, teaching, or tutorialising Yarn Spinner and other simlar uses, we give you permission to use the Yarn Spinner name and logo on packaging, promotional/advertising materials, splash screens, in publications, seminars, conference talks, and web sites, and anything else in relation to your Yarn Spinner-powered software.
When using the Yarn Spinner name and logo, please do your best adhere to the following general guidelines:
- 1.The Yarn Spinner trademark can only be part of a product name (e.g. "Big Talk for Yarn Spinner") if it's a true reflection (i.e. the product works with Yarn Spinner).
- 2.The Yarn Spinner trademark can be used in a referential manner or alongside a referential phrase (e.g. "SimOptometrist is built with Yarn Spinner", "Aunty Edna's Grand Adventure uses Yarn Spinner", "Big Talk is compatible with Yarn Spinner", "Bobby Yarner teaches Yarn Spinner", "Learn Yarn Spinner with Dr Eyeballs");
- 3.The game, or project that you're including the Yarn Spinner trademark must, in fact, work with, use, or relate to Yarn Spinner in some way;
- 4.The use of the Yarn Spinner trademark cannot imply endorsement, sponsorhip, or an inaccurate representation of the relationship between you, your game/project, and the Yarn Spinner project, team, Yarn Spinner Pty. Ltd., or Secret Lab Pty Ltd;
- 5.The use of the Yarn Spinner trademark should not show Yarn Spinner, the Yarn Spinner team, Yarn Spinner Pty. Ltd., Secret Lab Pty Ltd, or any related group or entity in an false or derogatory manner, or in association with any hate speech, or criminal or illegal activities.
If you have any questons on this, ask the Yarn Spinner team in the Discord, tweet at us, or email us at legal AT yarnspinner.dev — we're friendly, and really just want to help.
When you use the Yarn Spinner trademark, logo, or brand to credit Yarn Spinner in your game (or other work), you should try your best to conform your use to our brand guidelines.
You may not edit, modify, distort, recolour, or change the Yarn Spinner logo unless you show us what you've done (and receive our approval), or ask our permission. We're happy for you to totally diverge from our colours and branding, if we talk about it with you, so please email us at legal AT yarnspinner.dev to chat — we're friendly, we promise!
You can download a copy of the Yarn Spinner logo for inclusion in your credits below. We explicitly give you permission to use these logos, in accordance with the guidelines on this page:
YarnSpinner-Logo-Crediting (available in colour, white on black, and black on white, in the zip file)
YarnSpinner-LogoWithText-Crediting (available in zip file)